Monday, June 12, 2017

G-League National Champs 2017

Done with the 2017 PhilSwim National Long Course Swimming Championship!

We spent three days cheering for my fave son at the Trace Aquatic Sports Complex from June 2-4, 2017. It's my son's first time to qualify for a meet that had him swim the preliminaries in the morning and if the swimmers are in the top 8, they do a swim-off again late afternoon. It's a swim-off of the best swimmers in each category.
He was awarded the Top FINA Points Achiever for his age group. 
I don't really understand it that well, but my son says it is the swimming counterpart of being MVP.




Sorry na! This is another one of those posts that 's full of parental pride. 
Please indulge me. Paminsan-minsan lang.


R did not set out to win any award coming into this meet, we didn't even know such an award existed. We just always remind him of Colossians 3:23, to do his best in everything he does as a way to honor God. And how nicely he was rewarded for his efforts!

As a backgrounder for those not familiar, the National Champs is a culminating meet of all swimmers who participated and met the qualifying times for each of the 4 qualifying legs during the long course season. Because it's a national championship, he swam alongside the best swimmers from Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao.

Look at their streamlined form. 
My son is the swimmer in lane 4



I saw this photo in my timeline a few weeks ago. My son's coach shared it as a FaceBook memory.
Seems like it was just taken yesterday, but this photos was taken in 2010. Parang his first year to join the team. Halata naman, di ba? Naka-rash guard pa sya. Hahaha!


A lot of things happened along the way...
Here he is after swimming the 50-meter breaststroke (2012)

I cannot help but be nostalgic. It's a sweet moment for me because it's always a reminder of how patience and persistence can transform someone. 

There are a lot of swimmers who won more medals than him, but being with him on his journey, it just makes every win sweeter.

In 2014, I first shared about how my husband and I tirelessly helped our son fight and overcome his feelings of self-doubt. At that time, R almost wanted to quit swimming, frustrated that he's always just in the middle of the rankings at every meet. You can read more about it here: 

He is still a work in progress, but his life is really a testament of how my son trusted and allowed God to work in his life. In 2016, I shared how my husband and I encouraged him using used biblical words her: http://thephenomenalmama.blogspot.com/2016/04/how-to-help-our-lil-ones-with-their-big.html

Even when he is winning golds already, he still has moments of self-doubt, and we still help him cope with it by continuously encouraging him and speaking words of life into him, reassuring him of who he is in Christ. We continuously let him know we believe in his abilities and all the possibilities that come with it. 

Anyway, enough of the senti talks, Let me share with you a photo journal of what happened during the 2017 Champs.



*     *     *


By the poolside from 7 in the morning for the prelims up to 7 in the evening for the finals. Look at the varying hues of the sky at different times of the day. You know my deep love for my son has kept me glued to my seat the entire time he was competing, kahit na ang init-init ha!



So proud of him! He placed gold for 50m freestyle for the prelims, and maintained it for the finals. But even if I'm so proud of him for achieving what he set out to do, I know everything is by God's grace. So thank you, God!
The winning touch in the 50-meter freestyle



I'm posting the video of his 50-meter freestyle swim, as well, because I want to be able to go back to this post in the future. I'm sure when he's all grown already, I will miss being a swim mom. At least I have videos of him swimming to look back to.







But there are also times when he is disappointed with himself because he had missed the top spot by a few milliseconds. We see the frustration in his face as he's forced to settle for a silver. It is a challenge how to teach him to move past the current setback and work harder for the next event.



We always remind him: {Proverbs 21:31}You can prepare the horse for the day of the battle, but only God gives victory.

This means there is no substitute for preparation. He has to to put in the long, hard hours of training if success is to be achieved. Success never just happens. As he does his part, we remind him to also pray fervently, asking the Lord to keep him healthy and injury-free. Human effort without the blessing of God leads to failure. 

5 medals won for the finals, excluding his wins during the prelims
At the end of the day, all of the events in our lives are directed by God's providence.
{Proverbs 16:33} We may throw the dice, but God determines how it will fall.


*       *      *

Because we were away from home for 4 days during the finals, it was a challenge to continue serving nutritious food.

I'm always looking for ways to sneak in healthy, nutritious snacks when we’re on the go. While we try to stick to whole foods as much as possible, having ready-made foods are a must for those times when we’re either too busy (or, let’s face it, too tired) to prepare a nutritious snack or meal. And many standard, kid-friendly, ready-made snacks are typically packed with too much sugar, fake ingredients and chemical flavors.

One of the few products which we tried recently, and which R loves is the E-hydrate KIDS Protein On-The-Go in chocolate flavor.  So when he packed for the nationals by himself, he made sure to bring some with him.


Why we love E-hydrate KIDS Protein On-the-Go:
1. It is the  natural, premium protein drink mix with electrolytes made specifically for kids. 
2. It comes in a convenient, pre-portioned patented pouch which can be taken anywhere. Just add water, shake and go.
3. Helps with muscle recovery + hydrates the body + energizes.

E-hydrate KIDS Protein On-the-Go is available at all Healthy Options stores



*       *      *


Here's another photo that I took at then end of the meet while we were waiting for the awarding. We were both tired. Nakakapagod din umupo at manuod ng laban, really! It's so hot that it's physically draining. But seeing the wide smile that he can't take off from his face makes it all worth it!

May God continue to equip me with His grace as I help my kids be the amazing persons that God created them to be.




To know more about Healthy Options: 

FOLLOW ME!   

No comments :

Post a Comment